Gunthorpe toll bridge
Destroyed by the council
Another for the igreens.org.uk list. Here’s the Old Toll House, now an Indian restaurant – the Bridge & Bayleaf, viewed from the old abutment. Original right.
Privately built in 1873, on the site of an ancient ford and ferry, by 1925 the tolls were walkers 1d, motorcycles 3d, cars 1/- and lorries 2/6. Then the local council bought the owners out, demolished it and built the present one. Shame!
About 100 yards downstream is a nice exposure of the Mercia mudstone, with its layers of white gypsum, alongside Gunthorpe weir. In medium water a canoeist could slip past the barrage and line down the fish pass. But don’t shoot the weir!